|Small Greeting Card||Large Greeting Card||Postcard|
|4" x 6"||5" x 7.5"||4" x 6"|
This State Hospital was established in its present location in 1901 as a farm colony for “chronic insane patients”. By 1945 the number of patients had risen to 1,730, with a total staff of 250 with 241 vacancies. By this time the institution had grown to 1,200 acres with buildings scattered widely over an area covering three towns. After 72 years of operation the Hospital was closed in 1973 as the first of a series of institutions to close in its state. The campus is now occupied by a University , a Job Corps Program, and various state agencies. Most structures have been renovated and altered for re-use, some have been demolished. A graveyard remains on a nearby hilltop with 1,041 numbered, nameless graves of persons who died in this institution. A handwritten list of their names survives in various archives.
Taken with PentaxK100 D Super 18-55 lens….
Sold 3 prints so far!
As of 1/07/10 1,614 Viewings!!!