Shop

The old millrace still stands at Falls Park in Sioux Falls, South Dakota. The falls of the Big Sioux River are just off-right of this photo.

Water was driven below the millrace to power turbines at the Queen Bill Mill, which opened in October 1881. Fire swept through the Queen Bee Mill in 1956 and destroyed the interior of the seven story facility. The exterior quartzite walls were later knocked down for safety reasons, but the stone remains of the mill can be seen behind the tree in this photo.

25 January 2013
Canon Powershot SX500 IS

Featured in Midwestern United States Art & Photography – 28 January 2013

Tags

mill, millrace, sioux, dakota, falls, plains, prairie, historic

Amateur photographer with a deep passion for shooting sunsets and prairie life on the Great Plains of South Dakota

View Full Profile

Comments

desktop tablet-landscape content-width tablet-portrait workstream-4-across phone-landscape phone-portrait