A blending of historic and current architecture in downtown Sioux Falls, South Dakota. 11/18/12
The building in the foreground was one of two Illinois Central and Rock Island depots built in the 1880’s. This depot was one of the earliest buildings in Sioux Falls constructed of Sioux quartzite. The depot was designed by local architect Wallace Dow in the Romanesque Revival style.
The office complex in the background is Cherapa Place. It stands on ground that was occupied for decades by the Zip Feed Mill. Grain elevators remain a common sight next to railroad depots throughout South Dakota. Sioux Falls has been involved in extensive urban renewal to remove the rails and redevelop these old properties, while still preserving the historic roots of the city.