Shop

15% OFF EVERYTHING! USE CODE GET15

Historic Old Courthouse Museum (Minnehaha County) in downtown Sioux Falls, South Dakota (USA)

6 October 2012
Kodak ZD710

From the Old Courthouse Museum website: Construction began on the first Minnehaha County Courthouse in 1889. The building is a product of local architect Wallace L. Dow, who designed many local buildings including the South Dakota State Penitentiary, the All Saints School, and the Thomas B. McMartin home (now the Pettigrew Home and Museum). The building is constructed of native Sioux Quartzite stone, a popular local building material of the late 19th century. When completed in 1893, Dow claimed the structure would be the “largest courthouse between Chicago and Denver.”

Click HERE to read more about the Old Courthouse Museum…

Tags

courthouse, quartzite, museum, sioux, dakota, plains, prairie, wallace dow

Amateur photographer with a deep passion for shooting sunsets and prairie life on the Great Plains of South Dakota

View Full Profile
desktop tablet-landscape content-width tablet-portrait workstream-4-across phone-landscape phone-portrait