The Old Post Office was built from 1892 to 1899, and when completed was the largest office building and first building incorporating a steel frame in Washington, D.C. The building has had a notorious history beginning with the opening ceremonies when the Postmaster of Washington fell to his death down an elevator shaft.
The building’s history as the main Post Office of Washington was cut short fifteen years after it opened when in 1914 it was decided to move the city’s main postal operation to a more centralized location in the District of Columbia. At that time the relatively new building was dubbed the “old” post office, a name that is still with it today nearly a century later.
The most recognizable feature of the Old Post Office is its 315-foot high clock tower which makes the building the third tallest structure in Washington, behind the Washington Monument which is the tallest and then the United States Capitol. Today the Old Post Office is also the largest commercial building in the District. In addition to the clock tower, the building is well-known for its expansive interior atrium which is home to popular shops, restaurants and entertainment facilities.
This is a photograph of the atrium’s high glass ceiling with the famous clock tower centered in the background.
Thank you to the group “Historic Places” for featuring this photograph.
The Old Post Office has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places since 1973.
This photograph is “as is” from the camera, there was no post processing.
Camera: Canon Rebel XTi 400D