Generally regarded as the finest bomber of the second world war the Lancaster arose pheonix like from the failure of the Avro Manchester. On 18th April 1940, Roy Chadwick the chief designer at Avro’s proposed various changes to the Manchester including a variant powered by four Rolls Royce Merlins. An incomplete Manchester was taken from the production line in mid 1940 and modified to take four Merlin’s by increasing the wingspan by 12ft. The first prototype was flown on January 9th 1941 and it was found almost immediately to be a war winning weapon. Manchester production was phased out to be replaced by the Lancaster. In fact the initial Lancaster production batch were converted from Manchester’s on the production line.
The first squadron to receive Lancaster’s was No44 (Rhodesia) squadron which carried out its first operation on March 3rd. On the 4th April 1942 Lancaster’s hit the headlines for the first time when 12 Lancaster’s of 44 squadron made a daring low level daylight raid on the MAN diesel factory in Augsburg. Unfortunately Me109’s of JG2 got amongst the Lancaster’s and only five aircraft returned home. The factory however was very heavily damaged. It was as a night bomber however, that the Lancaster is most usually associated and from 1944 more or less replaced the Stirling and Halifax as the pre-eminent “heavy” in Bomber Command. With the introduction of electronic blind bombing aids from 1942 alongside the introduction of the Lancaster such as GEE, OBOE, H2S and G-H, night bombing became steadily more accurate and deadly.
All in all 7,377 Lancaster’s of all marks were built with production being undertaken by Avro, Metrovick, Armstrong Whitworth, Austin, and Vicker’s in Britain and by Victory Aircraft in Canada. The Lancaster equipped 61 front line squadrons including Australian, Canadian, and Polish units. Postwar the Lancaster was quickly replaced in the bombing role by the Lincoln but served until the 1960’s in the Maritime Reconnaissance role.