Image of a fully restored Cobb & Co stagecoach captured at near the Echuca Wharf, which is located on the Murray River in north-central Victoria, Australia.
Camera Olympus E-520, Focal length 14,
Shutter speed 1/400, f/4.0, ISO 100.
Image worked on with Picasa3 and Photoscape.
Cobb and Co is the name of an Australian transportation company. It was prominent in the late 1800s when it operated stagecoaches to many areas in the outback and at one point in several other countries, as well. It was established in 1853 by four Americans (Freeman Cobb, John Murray Peck, James Scanlon and James A. Lamber), but only rose to prominence when bought by James Rutherford and several partners in 1858.
Rutherford’s partners included Alexander William Robertson, John Wagner, Walter Russell Hall, William Franklin Whitney and Walter Bradley. Rutherford re-organised and extended the Victorian services and secured a monopoly on the mail contracts.
Cobb and Co’s operations were eventually superseded by the development of the automobile and, in some areas, by railways. Their last horse-drawn coach service ran in 1924. The company name has been resurrected in recent years by various operators and horse drawn coaches still operate at various locations throughout Australia. The name stands for “Cobb & company,” although the full stop after “Co” is often omitted.
The historic Port of Echuca literally means the ‘meeting of the waters’, it sits on the junction of the Murray and Campaspe Rivers and just downstream from the Goulburn River. It is Australia’s Paddle Steamer capital with a rich and exciting colonial heritage