All proceeds from this site go directly to supporting the fabric of this wonderful building.
Cley Windmill, prominent in this photo from the 1880’s, featured a five story red brick tower, still in existence today, with the stage on the second floor. The sails were then of the patent type and had an eight blade fantail. The dome cap was octagonal and was topped by a ball finial.
The first mention of the windmill is in a sale notice of 1829: “ a very extensive business is capable of being carried on here at a comparatively trifling expense, as the flour may still be sent out to sea without any land carriage”
At the time the sails drove two pairs of French Stones to grind the corn, but in 1876 this was increased to three. The buildings surrounding the windmill included a granary, two coal warehouses, a cart lodge, a gig house and two stables with hay loft over. A trade of coal importing was carried on at the mill as well as flour and corn.
At the time of this photograph, the tenant miller was Stephen Barnabas Burroughes, who had taken it over some time before. In 1886 he was able to buy the Windmill as a sitting tenant, later passing it onto his sons, as Burroughes Bros. They were the final operators of it before it ceased to operate in 1912.
Notice the old mill-wheels set into the path, and the flamingo statue on the lawn.