The complementing architecture around Multnomah Falls, Benson Bridge and Multnomah Falls Lodge are features that makes this waterfall special. Benson Bridge, crafted by Italian stone masons, allows visitors to cross the falls between it’s lower and upper cataracts. In 1914, Simon Benson, a prominent businessman and owner of the falls at that time, erected the bridge. Before then, a log bridge was in its place. Benson gave the 300 acre site to the City of Portland, Oregon. In 1943, final ownership of the site and lodge was transferred to the USDA Forest Service. The Lodge was built in 1925 and is on the National Register of Historic Places. It had dormitories and four rooms for overnight stays. Overnight accomodations are no longer available. Every type of rock found in the Columbia River Gorge is represented in the Lodge.
Oregon State, USA