in Preserving History 26-01-2013
Camera: Canon EOS 400D, Lens: @ 85mm, ISO:200, Aperture: f7, Shutter:1/250
Taken in the very early evening at Cail in Scotland, a beautiful little fishing village on the east coast of Fife. The town has an ancient history and was settled by the 1800s, becoming a thriving market town by the 1100s. Robert the Bruce made Crail a Royal Borough in 1310 and also gave it the right to hold markets on a Sunday. For many years after the Reformation of 1560, the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland tried without success to force a change of Crail’s market to a weekday. It’s beautiful little harbour lies to the south of High Street and is best reached on foot. It is one of the best small harbours in the area and is well know for the shellfish that is caught and sold here. Its curved breakwater dates back to 16th century, and was built to give the harbour protection against the Forth. Then in 1826, Robert Stevenson added the harbour’s straight west pier, which was built from rubble.