in Country Churches and Schoolhouses 12-01-2013
Camera: Canon EOS 400D, Lens: @66mm, ISO: 200, Aperture: f6.3, Shutter: 1/100
Bentpath Bridge is a road bridge over the River Esk at the village of Bentpath, in Westerkirk, Scotland. It is a category A Listed Bridge with Historic Scotland and was built in approximately 1732-36. The bridge has 3 segmented arches with the middle arch being slightly wider. The Westerkirk Parish Church on the other side of the bridge is a grade B listed building with Historic Scotland. It was rebuilt in 1880 from a design by Burnet an architect from Langholm, in Bentpath, Dumfries and Galloway. It replaced several chapels in this area. An earlier one of which was in the old graveyard nearby. It is described as a simple Gothic design made from “snecked whin rubble with contrasting grey ashlar dressings”. Neither stone was sourced from the immediate locality as nearby buildings show a uniform construction material, which is not the same. An easier to work, grey sandstone is used for door surrounds and windows. The quoins are sawn in to blocks. Typical of stone work after 1854 when a stone cutting saw was patented. The cross in front of the church is the Bentpath War Memorial dedicated to servicemen in the 1914-1918 War.