in Around the World 10-11-2012
in Christian Churches, Statues and Crosses 25-11-2012
Camera: Canon EOS 400D, Lens: @ 17mm, ISO: 400, Aperture: f4, Shutter: 1/13
Taken inside St Peter’s Cathedral in Adelaide, South Australia. The first bishop of Adelaide, Augustus Short, brought with him in 1848, plans for a Cathedral. The plans had been drawn up by English architect William Butterfield. The Cathedral was started in 1869 and the first section was completed and opened fully for services in 1877. The change of colour in the ceiling of the nave shows where the first part ended. Photographs of the building of the Cathedral can be seen in the passage to the northern side of the Chancel. The rest of the nave was completed by 1901. The towers were completed in 1902 and The Lady Chapel was completed in 1904. The last section to be completed was the front steps in 1911. In the 1990s much restoration was started. The floor needed replacing; some tiles were retained and others made in England to match were used. The roof, of Welsh slate, had to be replaced again with Welsh slate. The pinnacles around the Lady Chapel have been removed until funds are available to repair the damage done over a century’s exposure to the atmosphere. Restoration is a continuing activity in any building of this nature. The Cathedral’s windows range from mid 19th century works to early 21st century work. Many of the windows were made in England; however, two of the earliest windows, the Rose Window in the eastern wall and the window of Edward the Confessor were made in Adelaide. The wooden sculptures on the High Altar Reredos were executed in England and depict people and angels who have been important for some reason to the people of the British Church. The two stone heads on the top of the pillars which mark the ending of the first section that was completed are of Bishop Short, the first Dean of Adelaide and possibly the architect and builder of the first section of the Cathedral. The Rood hanging above the Choir area was made by a Hungarian Australian, Andor Meszaros, and is made of Queensland Maple. The timber in the ceiling of the Cathedral is probably Baltic Pine. Some of the timber for the wood work in the Chancel and Sanctuary is made of English Oak. The reredos was built in Exeter, England, but most of the timber work in the Chancel and Sanctuary was carved and built in Adelaide.