in Your Country’s Best 31-10-2012
in Australian Capital Cities 02-07-2103
Camera: Canon EOS 400D, Lens: @ 24mm, ISO: 100, Aperture: f8, Shutter: 1/160
Listed with both Heritage South Australia and the National Trust, the Victorian Palm House can be found in the Botanic Gardens at Adelaide in South Australia. An exquisite restored Victorian glasshouse imported from Bremen in Germany in 1875 and thought to be the only one of its kind extant in the world. Features a display of Madagascan arid flora. Imported from Bremen, Germany in 1875 by the second Director Dr Richard Schomburgk, the Palm House was opened in 1877 and has been a focus in the Adelaide Botanic Garden since that time. It was designed by German architect Gustav Runge, the sophisticated engineering techniques used in its construction making it a benchmark in glasshouse design. The hanging glass walls are similar to those used in modern city buildings today and were very advanced for the time. This sophistication and Adelaide’s dry climate probably account for the Palm House’s survival with a remarkably high degree of originality. In 1986 corrosion of iron glazing bars in the Palm House made it unsafe for public use and it was closed. A conservation study carried out in early 1991 recommended a full restoration programme, and in February 1992 the Board of the Botanic Gardens launched the Palm House Restoration Appeal to raise funds to enable this to proceed.