Head-Spinning Looks. Shop new leggings, scarves, and skirts.

Inside the Mortlock Wing

Photographic Prints

Size:
Finish:
$6.60
Christine Smith

Grovedale, Australia

Sizing Information

Small 8.0" x 12.0"
Medium 12.0" x 18.0"
Large 16.0" x 24.0"
X large 20.0" x 30.0"

Features

  • Superior quality silver halide prints
  • Archival quality Kodak Endura paper
  • Lustre: Professional photo paper with a fine grain pebble texture
  • Metallic: Glossy finish and metallic appearance to create images with exceptional visual interest and depth

Reviews

Artist's Description

FEATURED in This, That and the Other Thing 24-10-2012
Camera: Canon EOS 400D, Lens: @ 17mm, ISO; 400, Aperture: f4, Shutter: 1/10
The State Library in Adelaide, South Australia is the largest public research library in the state with a collection focus on South Australian information, and general reference material for information and research purposes. It holds the “South Australiana” collection, which documents South Australia from pre-European settlement to the present day. The building now known as the Mortlock Wing was opened on 18 December 1884 as a Public Library, Museum and Art Gallery for the colony of South Australia with 23,000 books and a staff of three. Construction of the building took over 18 years to complete after the initial foundations were laid in 1866. The foundation stone was laid on 7 November 1879 by Sir William Jervois and the building was constructed by Brown and Thompson at a total cost of £43,897. The building is French Renaissance in style with a mansard roof. The walls are constructed of brick with Sydney freestone facings with decorations in the darker shade of Manoora stone. The interior has two galleries, the first supported by masonry columns, and the second by cast iron brackets. The balconies feature wrought iron balustrading ornamented with gold while the glass-domed roof allows the chamber to be lit with natural light. Two of the original gas “sunburner” lamps survive in the office space located on the second floor at the southern end. Restoration of the building occurred in 1985 as a Jubilee 150 project by Danvers Architects, consultant architect to the South Australian Department of Housing and Construction. The $1.5 million project was jointly funded by the government and the community. In honour of a substantial bequest fromJohn Andrew Tennant Mortlock, the Libraries Board of South Australia resolved that a percentage of the South Australiana Collections would be housed in the wing and named the Mortlock Library of South Australiana in 1986.

Artwork Comments

  • Tom Gomez
  • Christine Smith
  • dgscotland
  • Christine Smith
  • Hans Kawitzki
  • Christine Smith
  • Phil Thomson IPA
  • Christine Smith
  • lorilee
  • Christine Smith
  • Irene  Burdell
  • Christine Smith
  • Kate Adams
  • Christine Smith
  • Michael Carter
  • Christine Smith
  • Sinclere
  • Christine Smith
  • TonyCrehan
  • Christine Smith
desktop tablet-landscape content-width tablet-portrait workstream-4-across phone-landscape phone-portrait
desktop tablet-landscape content-width tablet-portrait workstream-4-across phone-landscape phone-portrait

10%off for joining

the Redbubble mailing list

Receive exclusive deals and awesome artist news and content right to your inbox. Free for your convenience.