in Heritage Listed and Other Trust Sites World Wide 17-11-2012
Camera: Canon EOS 400D, Lens: @ 17mm, ISO: 100, Aperture: f10, Shutter: 1/250
This lovely historic old railway station and signal box at Ballarat in Victoria, Australia are classified by both Heritage Victoria and the National Trust of Victoria. Originally called Ballarat West Station, construction began in 1862 with the original buildings constructed at a cost of almost 22,000 pounds with the original railway line to Melbourne going via Geelong to service the booming Ballarat goldfields. The now disused signal box was built in 1885. A bluestone engine shed was built to the south and the goods shed to the north were added in 1863. In 1877 the footbridge and waiting rooms on the south side were added. Following the opening of the direct line from Ballarat to Melbourne was established in December 1889 and increase in patronage led to plans to upgrade the station. A grand portico, stationmasters office and clocktower were added in 1891 however the clock was not added at this time. With the closure of Ballarat East Railway Station and the amalgamation of councils, the station gradually dropped the name West Ballarat. The clock was added to the tower in 1984. On 13 December 1981 fire badly damaged the interiors of the 1888 section including the station-master’s office, waiting room, booking office, dining room and clock tower. All of these areas were later repaired and retained and other features restored however some interiors including the booking office were subsequently modernised.