Camera: Canon EOS 400D, Lens: @ 24mm, ISO: 200, Aperture: f8, Shutter: 1/125
BEST VIEWED LARGE
Dundas House can be found at 36 St Andrew Square, Edinburgh, Scotland, and is the Registered Head Office of the Royal Bank of Scotland Group. It is protected as a category A listed building. It was designed by Sir William Chambers and built in 1774 for Sir Lawrence Dundas, 1st Baronet (c. 1710 – 21 September 1781), a Scottish businessman, landowner and politician. He made his first fortune by supplying goods to the British Army during their campaigns against the Jacobites and in Flanders during the Seven Years’ War, 1756-1763. He subsequently branched out into banking, property (he developed Grangemouth in 1777) and was a major backer of the Forth and Clyde Canal which happened to run through his estate at Kerse near Falkirk. Dundas House was acquired by the Royal Bank of Scotland in 1821. The interior was radically altered, including the building of the notable domed banking hall with star-shaped windows in the ceiling, which was added by the architect John Dick Peddie in 1857.