in Artists Universe 15-01-2012
in HDRI (No Holds Barred) 17-01-2012
in Australian Capital Cities 25-01-2012
in the Australian Capital Cites – Photos Featured in January 2112 Challenge 18-02-2012
in the Light Up My Life – Grand Light Fixtures Challenge 01-04-2012
Camera: Canon EOS 400D, Lens @ 26mm, ISO: 200, Aperture: f6.5
This beautiful Waterford Crystal Chandelier is one of three that can be seen in the Chamber of Legislative Assembly at Parliament House in Melbourne. The imposing old building sits facing the intersection of Spring and Bourke Streets and has been the seat of the Parliament of Victoria, Australia, since 1855 (except for the years 1901 to 1927, when it was occupied by the Parliament of Australia). A competition was held for a design for the building, and John Knight’s design won the first prize of £500, but was not used. The government architect, Charles Pasley, subsequently came up with a design of his own. Subsequent observers have suggested that he borrowed heavily from Leeds Town Hall, which even today is widely considered to be among the finest civic buildings in the world. The design was later modified by an architect in his office, Peter Kerr. Construction of the project was managed by John Knight who was also on Casley’s staff. The building is an example of Roman Revival architecture. In December 1855 construction began on the site in Spring Street, and the building was completed in stages between 1856 and 1929. The chambers for the Victorian Legislative Assembly and the Victorian Legislative Council were finished in 1856, at which time Bourke Street ran between the two chambers. The library was completed in 1860, and the Great Hall (now Queen’s Hall) and the vestibule in 1879. In the 1880s, at the height of the great boom fuelled by the Victorian Gold Rush, it was decided to add a classical colonnade and portico facing Spring St, which today gives the building its monumental character. This was completed in 1892. The north wing was completed in 1893 and refreshment rooms at the back of the building were added in 1929.