Camera: Canon EOS 400D, Lens: @ 47mm, ISO: 200, Aperture: f8, Shutter: 1/250
Taken in the village centre at Falkland, a town and former royal burgh, formerly known as the Parish of Kilgour c1300AD in Fife, Scotland at the foot of the Lomond Hills. The Bruce Fountain is in Market Place, and is a Victorian Gothic fountain, designed in 1856 by Alexander Ross. It has brightly painted heraldic lions at its corners. The the hill behind is East Lomond. A settlement is believed to have existed at Falkland prior to the 12th century. However, this was not until the erection of Falkland Castle some time after 1160 which was the cruical factor in the birth of the village. The site of Falkland Castle now lies within the grounds of the present Falkland Palace. The donation of the royal hunting estate of Falkland by King Malcolm IV to Duncan Macduff, 6th Earl of Fife in 1160, may actually have led to any previous hunting lodge being replaced by the castle. Despite being granted royal burgh status in 1458, Falkland had developed as a medieveal settlement dependent on Falkland Palace and the Falkland Castle and therefore did not function in the same way as other royal burghs did. Falklands later fortunes were closely linked to the weaving of linen. In 1792 there were 231 weavers in the village, probably about a thrid of the population.