in HDRI (No Holds Barred) 13-06-2011
Camera: Canon EOS 400D, Lens: @ 17mm, ISO: 200, Aperture: f7, Shutter: 1/100
The Scottish National War Memorial is situated in Crown Square of Edinburgh Castle, Scotland. It was opened in 1927 as a tribute to those killed in the First World War. The building incorporates scenes from the First World War in stone, bronze and stained glass. The Memorial was designed in the Art Deco style of the day by the Scottish architect Sir Robert Lorimer, and the cream of Scotland’s artists and craftspeople. It also commemorates Scottish servicemen and women who died in the Second World War and later conflicts. The building occupies the site of St Mary’s Church, built in medieval times. St Mary’s was converted into a munitions house in 1540, and later demolished (1755) to make way for a new barracks, which forms the shell of the present building. The exterior emphasises the nobility of those who fell, with statues representing Courage, Peace, Justice and Mercy. At the centre, a figure rising from a phoenix symbolises the survival of the Spirit. Inside, vivid stained-glass windows and bronze friezes show scenes from the war. In the inner shrine, a casket holding the Roll of Honour lists the names of all the dead, overlooked by a statue of St Michael the Archangel. The Scottish National War Memorial was opened on 14 July 1927 by The Prince Of Wales, later King Edward VIII, with Field Marshal Haig at his side.