in Country Victoria 29-10-2010
in Heritage Listed and Other Trust Sites 21-01-2011
Camera: Canon EOS 400D, Lens: @26mm, ISO: 100, Aperture: f18, Shutter: 1/20
Steiglitz (situated between Geelong and Ballarat) is almost a ghost town today, but in the 1860’s and 1890’s it was a busy goldmining township with hotels, shops, churches and a population of over 1000. At the height of the 1860’s gold rush, Steiglitz township had more than 1500 residents, four hotels, a newspaper, a variety of shops and even an undertaker. Now most of the town and its surroundings are included in the 469 hectare Steiglitz Historic Park, declared in 1979. The run down old weatherboard cottage in this image was occupied by several blacksmiths living at Stieglitz over the years, the final one being Mr. Sugg.