Inside the Stables at Barwon Park

Christine Smith

Grovedale, Australia

  • Available
    Products
    6
  • Artist
    Notes
  • Comments 36

Artist's Description

FEATURED in Down on the Farm 06-11-2010
FEATURED in Love Affair with the Lens 14-12-2010
FEATURED in Photomatix HDR 20-05-2011
FEATURED in HDR Photography 23-05-2011
FEATURED in Exquisition 09-06-2011
FEATURED in Country Victoria 11-09-2014
TOP TEN FINALIST in the Preserving History – Barns and Sheds Challenge 20-05-2011

Camera: Canon EOS 400D, Lens: @ 18mm, ISO: 200, Aperture: 5.6, Shutter: 1/13

Barwon Park is on the National Trust of Australia (Victoria) Register with a State Classification. It is located in Inverleigh Road in Winchelsea, Victoria, Australia. It was once one of Australia’s grandest mansions, and was designed by architects Davidson & Henderson and was built between 1869 and 1871. The house, along with the stables and coach house are all constructed from bluestone and one of the features of Barwon Park is the extensive use of early Australian cedar. The interior of both the house and stables remain largely in original condition. The imposing 42-room bluestone mansion was built for Thomas and Elizabeth Austin who had lived in the Western District at Barwon Park since their marriage in 1845. Barwon Park, a combination of three original runs, was recognised for sheep, horses and many game species now considered vermin. As a member of the Acclimatisation Society, Thomas imported numerous species and is best remembered for his success in breeding rabbits. At the time, the rabbits and other game he bred were much acclaimed: today the praise has turned to blame. Unfortunately Thomas Austin passed away just a few months after the magnificent housewarming ball and so the Mansion never fulfilled its potential as a leading entertaining seat in the colony. Elizabeth Austin was already established as an important hostess of the Western District (and had entertained royalty), and the mansion was built accordingly. The mansion hosted the wedding of her last unmarried daughter, Ellen, in 1876 but Elizabeth devoted her energies to continuing the philanthropic work begun with her husband. However, most of her contributions were given anonymously as society did not accept such a role for a woman. The property has been owned by only two families, the Austins and the Batsons, and was left to the National Trust of Australia (Victoria) by Sydney Batson.

Artwork Comments

  • dorseteye
  • Christine Smith
  • patcheah
  • Christine Smith
  • Donna Macarone
  • Christine Smith
  • vigor
  • Christine Smith
  • Ainsley Kellar Creations
  • Christine Smith
  • Ainsley Kellar Creations
  • Christine Smith
  • Baina Masquelier
  • Christine Smith
  • Clive S
  • Christine Smith
  • shadesofcolor
  • Christine Smith
  • rocamiadesign
  • Christine Smith
desktop tablet-landscape content-width tablet-portrait workstream-4-across phone-landscape phone-portrait
desktop tablet-landscape content-width tablet-portrait workstream-4-across phone-landscape phone-portrait

10%off for joining

the Redbubble mailing list

Receive exclusive deals and awesome artist news and content right to your inbox. Free for your convenience.