Canon 5D MKII, three exposure HDR handheld and processed in Nik’s HDR pro. Tweaked in Photoshop.
10/14/2011 FEATURED in the redbubble group ARCHITECTURE – THE BRITISH ISLES
The church was recorded as being on the site since 1128. It has an Early English Chancel and the Sanctuary has a double Aumbrey. The pointed arched roof dates from the 13th Century. The battlemented tower and south porch are in the Perpendicular architectural style from the 15th Century. The tower is a prominent feature and the large crack on the west side is reputed to have been caused by an earthquake. It was used as a Naval signalling station in Napoleon times and still claims the right to fly the White Ensign.
Extensive restoration work was carried out between 1860 and 1900. Recently the organ has been restored and the bells have been re-hung in a strengthened frame. The first church hall built in 1972 was opened by Ted Heath. He was born in St Peters and sang in the choir.
There is an enthusiastic bell-ringing team based at the church which ring for services and for ceremonial occasions and weddings. The bell tower contains 8 bells. The bell ringing group forms part of a local bell-ringing team which visits other churches in the Diocese.