Point Fermin Lighthouse is a lightstation on Point Fermin in San Pedro, near Los Angeles, Southern California. The ornate Victorian lighthstation was built in 1874 with lumber from California redwoods and fir. The first lighthouse keepers, two sisters from Washington, resigned after eight years at Point Fermin, saying the life was too lonely, something that is hard to imagine given the area’s present population.
Point Fermin Light remained active until December 9, 1941, two days after the attack on Pearl Harbor. There was fear that the light would serve as a beacon for enemy planes and ships. Shortly after the light was deactivated the original fourth-order Fresnel lens was removed and had been missing for decades. Point Femin light fell into disuse and disrepair.
In 2002, a $2.6 million dollar face-lift was initiated on the lighthouse. The building has now been restored to its original beauty and is open to the public as the Point Fermin Lighthouse Historic Site and Museum. And more than thirty years after it was removed, the original hand-crafted Fresnel lens was found and positively identified. In November 2006 it return home and is now on display in the restored Point Fermin Lighthouse.