FEATURED in PENNSYLVANIA PHOTOGRAPHERS ON VACATION and in EVERYTHING OLD A NEW TREASURE
124 VIEWS as of 02/19/2013
233 VIEWS as of 06/29/2013
The Church of San Germán Auxerre overlooks the town of San Germán’s main plaza in Puerto Rico.. Spanish settlers founded San Germán parish in 1510 and built the first permanent church in 1688. Puerto Ricans repaired and reconstructed the church between 1717 and 1739 after it had suffered earthquake damage. Between 1834 and 1897, new repairs were made to the building, and in 1920, the tower was rebuilt after a 1918 earthquake. With trompe l’oeil painting that imitates wood coffers on the ceiling, the Church of San Germán’s interior is one of the most lavishly decorated on the island.