FEATURED in ALL GLORIOUS GARDENS, in AMERICAS, RURAL. URBAN, WILD AND FREE and in THE BEAUTIFUL EAST COAST
101 VIEWS as of 01/20/2013
208 VIEWS as of 05/27/2013
A gazebo in the evening autimn light in Yellow Springs, Chester County, Pennsylvania
The Iron Spring Gazebo, originally built circa 1839, holds the iron springs in its center well.
In the 18th century, Yellow Springs was a fashionable spa village that attracted visitors who sought healing waters and social interaction.
During the American Revolution, George Washington commissioned a hospital to be built in the village, the first military hospital in North America. Washington himself visited on numerous occasions.
Following the war, the village returned to a spa town during the early 19th century.
From 1868 to 1912, Yellow Springs was home to the Chester Springs Soldiers’ Orphan School for children of Civil War soldiers.