Pastel on Sanded Paper
(Larger photo now uploaded)
The Bogey Hole was constructed by order of Commandant Morisset in about 1820 for his own personal use and was originally known as the “Commandant’s Baths”. Morisset was Commandant of Newcastle from 1819 to 1822. The name “Bogey Hole” was applied afterwards and comes from the Aboriginal word meaning “to bathe”.
This is still a favourite swimming spot in Newcastle and is wonderful to paint, with the contrast in colour between the pool and ocean.