Former Royal Mint, now the Hellenic Museum, 280 William Street, Melbourne. Built 1872. Architect: JJ Clark. Considered one of the finest examples of Renaissance Revival (or Neo-Renaissance) Style in Australia. It is classified by the Australian National Trust, who say that the central administration wing is based on Raphael’s Palazzon Cafferelli-Vidoni in Rome.
Originally a branch of the Royal Mint, London, and minted only gold sovereigns until 1916, and then all Australian coins from 1927 to 1967. In the early 1960s the Commonwealth decided to introduce decimal currency and to establish a Mint in Canberra. The Melbourne Mint had produced nearly 416 million decimal coins by the end of 1967.