Hochgurtel Exhibition Fountain is situated in front of the Melbourne Royal Exhibition Building at the head of the “Grand Allee”, a beautiful avenue of plane trees.
In the late 1800’s Melbourne was a very wealthy city due to many years of gold rush. The Royal Exhibition building and fountain were built specifically for the 1880 International World Exhibition.
In 1901 the Federation of Australia ceremony was held here.
In 2004 The Royal Exhibition Building and the surrounding Carlton Gardens were inscribed by the United Nations onto the World Heritage List. It was the first building in Australia to be listed and it is the only remaining representative building in the world of the World Fair movement.