Historical Village of Gruyères
Gruyères is a town in the district of Gruyère in the canton of Fribourg in Switzerland. Its German name is Greyerz.
The medieval town is an important tourist location in the upper valley of the Saane river, and gives its name to the well-known cheese.
The castle, constructed in the 13th century, was home to a long succession of Gruyères counts. Michel, the last of them, faced financial difficulties and declared bankruptcy in 1554. The creditors – the towns of Fribourg and Berne – shared his land between them. The Castle became the headquarters of the Fribourg bailiffs (1555-1798), then the prefects’ residence until 1848. It was put up for sale in 1849 and became the property of the Bovy and Balland families, who stayed there in summer and took care of restoration of the site with their artist friends. In 1938, the State of Fribourg bought the Castle and opened a museum.
Nikon D90 18-105mm
Photomerge of 3 Pictures