The Castle, its interior, outbuildings and gardens bear evidence of three Centuries, from the 17th to the 19th Century.
From the cellar to the living chambers, both the original furniture and decoration of the castle have almost completely been preserved.
Many living chambers from the 17th through 19th century are found on several floors, displaying an interesting cross-section of the von Effinger family"s life and culture.
In 1483, Kaspar Effinger, from Brugg, had acquired the castle, its grounds and the neighboring forests as well as the other outbuildings.
Until 1912, the Castle of Wildegg remained the property of its successive inheritors.
Julie von Effinger, the last descendant of the von Effinger family, decided to bequeath the Castle of Wildegg to the Swiss Confederation, in favor of the National Museum which became one of its exhibition sites.
The majestic castle courtyard, the adjacent gardens, the aviary and also the forest and the farm have turned the Castle of Wildegg into a much-appreciated destination.
A treat for the eyes
The kitchen garden and pleasure garden alike invite visitors to stroll, to smell the flowers and to feast their eyes. From season to season, the gardens are always a delight and an oasis of aromas. With the assistance of Pro Specie Rara, an organisation for the preservation of antique agriculture, we nurture the varieties that once abounded here, a veritable cornucopia including such rarities as red orache, violet “Plain Palias” artichokes, “Géant Suisse” sugar peas, tree onions and skirret.
The annual seedling market, held in early May, is a must for amateur gardeners.
The Castle of Wildegg is situated above the valley of the Aare – between Aarau and Brugg – not too far from Zürich.
Nikon D90 105mm