Clough Williams Ellis opened Portmeirion in 1926 to demonstrate how a naturally beautiful site could be developed without spoiling it Patrick McGoohans enigmatic television series The Prisoner was filmed on location at Portmeirion in 1966-67 number 6 Snowdon Wales.
The base of this tower contains the following inscription: “This tower built in 1928, by Clough Williams-Ellis, architect and publican embodies stones from the 12th century castle of his ancestor, Gruffydd ap Cynan King of North Wales, that stood on an eminence 150 yards to the west. It was finally razed c.1869 by Sir William Fothergill-Cook, inventor of the electric telegraph, ‘lest the ruins should become known and attract visitors to the place’. This 19th century affront to the 12th is thus piously redressed in the 20th.” The Campanile is another one of Sir Clough’s height-making optical illusions through the clever use of tapering window openings. The tower is actually only about 80 feet high. Its chiming turret-clock (c.1822) was salvaged from a London brewery. The Campanile was renovated in 1993.