The construction of this tower in 1495-1499 by architect Alevisio da Carcano, also known as Aleviz Fryazin Senior, marked the end of the fortification work on the bank of the Neglinnaya River. The tower’s deep two-level cellars were used for the Kremlin’s defense and later, in the 15th-16th centuries, as a prison.
It was given its present name, the Trinity Tower, in 1658 in honor of the Kremlin-based misison of the Trinity Monastery. Its former names were Bogoyavlenskaya, Znamenskaya and Karetnaya, after Kremlin churches and the royal carriage yard. In 1516, a stone bridge, the Troitsky Bridge, was built over the Neglinnaya River. The gates of the tower served as the entrance leading to the palace of the tsarina and the princesses and to the Patriarch’s Chambers. A clock mounted on the Troitskaya Tower in 1585 was destroyed in the great fire of 1812 and was restored in the late 20th century.
The six-story Troitskaya Tower is the tallest of the Kremlin towers. Its height, together with its star, if measured from the side of the Alexandrovsky Gardens is 80 meters.