Nikolo-Ugreshsky monastery as founded in 1380 on the order of Prince Dmitry Donskoy on the site where he had seen the icon of St. Nicholas, the patron saint of Russia and in gratitude to God for the victory of the Russian troops in Kulikovskaya battle on the Kulikovo field. For many centuries the monastery was one of the spiritual centers of Russia, bearing education to people, rendering assistance to the suffering ones. The monastery has seen times of glory and oblivion. The magnificent Preobrazhensky (Transfiguration) Cathedral was built by the architect A.S. Kaminski (1830-1904). It is the second largest cathedral after Christ the Savior Cathedral in Moscow. Its height is 77 m. Besides the Cathedral, the ensemble of the monastery contains some smaller churches: The Holy Virgin Assumption Church (1852), St Peter and Paul’s Church (1860), the Church of Holy Mother of God Icon “All Grieving Pleasure” (1869), the Church of Holy Mother of God Icon “Kazanskaya” (1870) and other churches and chapels.