If, like me you’re trying to improve all the time (not always succeeding :) ) and get some exposure and success sales-wise then you may want to check out the following sites for inspiration and also ways to direct people to your portfolio on RB:
Competitions and other places to submit (some of which mentioned by various people in forums and journals) – in no particular order:
- Design by Humans – a well regarded ‘vote to print’ site – also has some good resources like ‘realistic’ templates to use for ‘model’ images.
- Tee invaders – A new competition site (haven’t checked it out yet)
- KingStrike – A slightly different concept – People buy the rights to your design for printing
- Teenormous – A great collection of shirts from around the web
- Threadless – No news here – everyone knows about Threadless. As I found it’s not easy to get into!! – lots of competition. It’s a community of sorts like RB, and You can add your own blog feed in your Threadless profile (so you can point it to your own blog, or your works on RB) – submission kit also has resources for ‘model’ images
- Shirt.w00t – another rolling competition with different challenges
- TeeFury – one a day – vote etc
- Teextile – This is brand new, and is another ‘one a day’ site. May be a good time to get something in there…
- Caponocca – Another competition site – $2500 for printed shirts
- 6 dollar shirts – Currently accepting submissions (2 colour designs)
- Mysoti – A fairly new POD (print on demand) site similar (in some ways) to RB, but without the community. Don’t know about the quality but the I’ve sold a couple there.
- Full Metal Shirt – Another competition site…
- Uneetee – Another US-based vote and print site
- Emptees – An aggregator, community and blog for your own and other’s designs
- Rumplo – another aggregator of other people’s designs. Unfortunately they don’t accept design suggestions from RB, but if you do a little digging you might find a way…
- StumbleUpon – Social bookmarking – Add your bubblesite, your blog etc – some people have reported success from this.
- Feedburner – Syndicate and publicise your ‘feeds’. This could be your blog, your works on RB, or pretty much anything. Feedburner allows you to get stats on the feeds, publish them elsewhere, and also create all sorts of widgets for subscribing etc. I’ve started putting the ‘stay in touch’ section in my posts to see how it goes… (might post more detail on this as it’s a bit more technical)
- I love your t-shirt – a sort of blog but also a place to submit designs to get seen
- A better tomorrow – a German design competition site
- Spring Leap – Another competition site (haven’t really looked yet)
- ModernTee – Another competition site ($250 per design)
- oh yeah – Zazzle and Cafepress if you want to sell mouse mats ;)
- FFFFound – Image bookmarking
blogs that you may want to look at to find the sites yourself
- Competeetion – This is a great place to find out about other sites and competitions going on around the web.
- Hide your arms – A pretty good T blog – with the most useful post about basically every other T shirt blog. (that saves me writing the rest out under here!)
- TCritic – Another blog – not very frequent
- Fashionably geek – Clothing and accessories for the ‘well-dressed geek’
- The Fresh Stock – Street wear and art
- TeeBurb – Tee designer community, blog – integrates with Twitter
- Teecraze – Nice simple syndication blog
RB Tee Designers Sites / Blogs
- Redbubble home pages – find the historical home pages here
- Grandia Design – Clothing and interviews with fellow RB’ers (including ME) from the excellent Grandia Design
- Redbubble Twitter Twibe
- Bubbling under the surface – Unofficial RB Blog
- Diesel Laws – The mightly Diesel, now with a new full stop.
- Damien Mason – Web Design, Illustration, Animation and Monkeys
- WebGrrl – Not just T-Shirts…
- mtths – Such cool stuff – with success on Threadless too!
- JemimaLovesBigTed – JLBT on Tumblr
- Cathie Tranent – Cathie T on Tumblr
- Paul McClintock – Pauk on Tumblr
- Free images – Places to find images on the web – useful for that inspiration or starting point for a design.
- How to find images – Another good wrap up of places to source images
- Typographic Posters – This is a great resource for all sorts of inspiration
- Smashing Magazine – A fantastic resource for design, print and web. Subscribe and get inspired on a very regular basis
- TypeNow – Free Fonts from A-Z. Lots of stuff for your ‘parody’ Tees :)
- FontSpace – 1000+ free fonts
Anyone know of any more that would be of interest to RB T designers? – reply in the comments. I’ll keep adding to this when I find more…
Stay in touch