The George and Sarah Joslyn Home, known locally as Joslyn Castle, was built in 1903. Upon Mrs. Joslyn’s death in 1944 it was donated to the Omaha Public School District. In 1972, the Castle was added to the National Register of Historic Places. In 1989, the school distict moved out and it then became the property of the state of Nebraska. In 1996, the Joslyn Castle became home of the Joslyn Castle Institute for Sustainable Communities which now maintains it and runs tours and events.