A 3 frame HDR pano, shot in RAW, tonemapped in Photomatix Pro, stitched in Autopano Pro and finished in CS4, including a light Orton Effect.
30ins x 10ins.
PLEASE VIEW LARGER
Shot on a cloudy/rainy day in March on The Great West Country Getaway 2010
Canon 400D, Sigma DG 70-300mm Lens at 70mm. ISO 100, f22 (3 frames at 0,-2,+2 EV’s)
In 1979, UNESCO included Mount Saint-Michael on its list of World Heritage Sites.
St Michael’s Mount (Cornish: Karrek Loos y’n Koos) is a tidal island located 366 m (400 yd) off the Mount’s Bay coast of Cornwall, England, United Kingdom. It is united with the town of Marazion by a man-made causeway, passable only at mid to low tide, made of granite setts.
The Mount may be the Mictis of Timaeus, mentioned by Pliny the Elder in his Naturalis Historia (IV:XVI.104), and the Ictis of Diodorus Siculus. Both men had access to the now lost texts of the ancient Greek geographer Pytheas, who visited the island in the fourth century BC. If this is true, it is one of the earliest identified locations in the whole of western Europe and particularly on the island of Britain.
It may have been the site of a monastery in the 8th – early 11th centuries and Edward the Confessor gave it to the Norman abbey of Mont Saint Michel. It was a priory of that abbey until the dissolution of the alien houses by Henry V, when it was given to the abbess and Convent of Syon at Isleworth, Middlesex. It was a resort of pilgrims, whose devotions were encouraged by an indulgence granted by Pope Gregory in the 11th century.
The monastic buildings were built during the 12th century but in 1425 as an alien monastery it was suppressed.
Henry Pomeroy captured the Mount, on behalf of Prince John, in the reign of Richard I. John de Vere, 13th Earl of Oxford, seized and held it during a siege of 23 weeks against 6,000 of Edward IV’s troops in 1473. Perkin Warbeck occupied the Mount in 1497. Humphry Arundell, governor of St Michael’s Mount, led the rebellion of 1549. During the reign of Queen Elizabeth, it was given to Robert Cecil, Earl of Salisbury, by whose son it was sold to Sir Francis Basset. During the Civil War, Sir Arthur Basset, brother of Sir Francis, held the Mount against the parliament until July 1646.
In 1755 the Lisbon earthquake caused a tsunami to strike the Cornish coast over 1,000 miles away. The sea rose six feet in 10 minutes at St Michael’s Mount, ebbed at the same rate, and continued to rise and fall for five hours. The 19th-century French writer Arnold Boscowitz claimed that “great loss of life and property occurred upon the coasts of Cornwall.”
In the late 19th century the skeleton of an anchorite was discovered when a chamber was found beneath the castle’s chapel. When the anchorite died of illness or natural causes, the chamber was sealed off and became his tomb. The Mount was sold in 1659 to Colonel John St Aubyn. His descendant, Lord St Levan, continues to be the “tenant” of the Mount but has ceased to be resident there, his nephew, James St Aubyn, taking up residency and management of the Mount in 2004.
Little is known about the village before the beginning of 18th century, save that there were a few fishermen’s cottages and monastic cottages. After improvements to the harbour in 1727, St Michael’s Mount became a flourishing seaport, and by 1811 there were 53 houses and four streets, and the island’s population was about 300. There were three schools, a Wesleyan chapel, and three public houses, mostly used by visiting sailors. The village went into decline following major improvements to nearby Penzance harbour and the extension of the railway to Penzance in 1852, and many of the houses and buildings were demolished.