|Small Greeting Card||Large Greeting Card||Postcard|
|4" x 6"||5" x 7.5"||4" x 6"|
The Nave and West Window of Winchester Cathedral.
295 viewings at 11th February 2010
BEST VIEWED LARGER
Canon 400D, Canon EF-S 17-85mm IS USM lens at 17mm, ISO 400, f22. 3 images +2,0,-2 EV’s bracketed in RAW, tonemapped with Details Enhancer in Photomatix 3.2.6 to create an HDR image and further processed in CS4.
I never cease to be amazed at the quality, detail and longevity of the work of the Medieval craftsmen.
Construction of the cathedral began in 1079 under bishop Walkelin, and on April 8, 1093, in the presence of nearly all the bishops and abbots of England, the monks removed from Saxon cathedral church of the Old Minster to the new one, “with great rejoicing and glory” to mark its completion. The earliest part of the present building is the crypt, which dates from that time. William II of England and his older brother, Richard, Duke of Bernay are both buried in the cathedral. The squat, square crossing tower was begun in 1202 to replace an earlier version which collapsed, partly due to the unstable ground on which the cathedral is built. It has an indisputably Norman look to it. Work continued on the cathedral during the 14th century, in 1394 the remodelling of the Norman nave commenced to the designs of master mason William Wynford, this continued into the 15th and 16th centuries, notably with the building of the retroquire to accommodate the many pilgrims to the shrine of Saint Swithun. After King Henry VIII seized control of the Catholic Church in England, and declared himself head of the Church of England, the Benedictine foundation, the Priory of Saint Swithun, was dissolved (1539) and the cloister and chapter house were demolished, but the cathedral continued.
In 2005, the building was used as a film set for the The Da Vinci Code with the north transept used as the Vatican. Following this the cathedral hosted discussions and displays to debunk the book.
Important events which took place at Winchester Cathedral include:
The pair of 14th Century doors beneath the window were included in the shot for the interest of fellow Red Bubbler Steve Smith!
It is a Grade 1 Listed Building.
Featured in ‘Canon DSLR’ Group 7th December 2009
Featured in the ‘Retired and Happy’ Group 16th December 2009
Featured in ‘Christian Churches Statues and Crosses’ Group 18th January 2010
Featured in the ‘Unique Buildings of the World’ Group 19th January 2010
Featured in ‘Peace, Love and Tranquility’ Group 19th January 2010
Featured in ’A View Somewhere….. ’ Group 20th January 2010
Featured in ‘Religious Art and Photography’ Group 25th January 2010
Featured in ‘Photomatix HDR’ Group 12th February 2010
You may be interested in some external shots of the Cathedral:-