The Wollongong Breakwater Lighthouse (or the Old Wollongong Lighthouse) was built in 1871 to help mariners safely navigate the port of Wollongong in the early days of the coal industry in the Illawarra region.
The tower is constructed of wrought iron on a ferro-concrete base, to survive any gale force weather in the area. It is one of only two towers in New South Wales made from wrought iron plates.
While no longer used, it was restored in 2002 and has become a heritage icon of the city of Wollongong, NSW, Australia.
The Wollongong Breakwater Lighthouse was listed as a heritage building in 2000, and is noted of being of significance for being ‘Australias first prefabricated steel lighthouse, and illustrative of early achievements in prefabrication and in the application of the new technology to the new building tasks of that era’.
Historic Places – May 2010
All About Lighthouses – Jun 2010
Bubblers’ Weekly Challenge – Jul 2010
Australiana Challenges (Lighthouses) – Oct 2010
Remember When – Feb 2011
The World As We See It – Apr 2011
Featured For A Challenge – Aug 2011