Ribblehead Viaduct is a railway viaduct across the valley of the River Ribble at Ribblehead, in North Yorkshire, northern England.
It is the longest and most famous viaduct on the Settle-Carlisle Railway, a railway line passing through some spectacular British scenery. Ribblehead railway station is located less than half a mile to the south of the viaduct.
Designed by the engineer John Sydney Crossley. The first stone was laid on 12 October 1870 and the last in 1874. It is 104 feet (32 m) high and spans 440 yards (402 m). It is made up of twenty-four arches. It is located at the foot of the mountain of Whernside.
The viaduct is curved, and so may be seen by passengers on the train. The train journey from Settle to Carlisle is short enough to allow the Yorkshire Dales holidaymaker to make a return day trip (steam-hauled, in the tourist season) including a few hours in the border town of Carlisle.
Two thousand Navvies building the viaduct established shanty towns on the moors, named the towns after victories of the Crimean War, sarcastically for posh districts of London, and Biblical names. There were smallpox epidemics and deaths from industrial accidents; meaning that the church graveyard at Chapel-le-Dale had to be extended.