401 views as of 3rd December 2010
A view of the masts and sails outside the many restaurants that line the old buildings at Campbell’s Cove in The Rocks area of Sydney NSW Australia.
Campbell’s Cove is named after Robert Campbell, a prominent Scottish merchant in the early days of Sydney who purchased land here in 1799. He was best known as the founder of Australian commerce. He built a wharf where he housed his many imports such as sugar, tea, and spirits from India. In 1838, he began construction of the Campbell Storehouses, 5 sandstone bays which are still standing to this day. Today these are occupied by small art galleries and waterside restaurants with spectacular views. Pullies that were used to hoist cargoes can still be seen on the upper levels of the warehouses. Today, The Cove is still a port and today is a base for the departure area for the fully operational tall ships of Sydney.