This photo is taken at the historic gold mining Robinsonville Townsite in the Blue Mountains of eastern Oregon near Greenhorn.
The sign reads:
Robinsonville townsite – the first post office in the entire Greenhorn Mountain area – 1878. Miners, finding many gold nuggets in this area established the town in 1868. It quickly grew to support 400 people but had no church or school. Fire, the terror of mining towns, wiped out Robinsonville in 1884. It was never rebuilt.
Mines in this area included such names as Humboldt, Golden Gate, The IXL, and Phoenix. Over $70,000 in gold was taken from one rotten quartz pocket in the Virginia mine. Wallowa-Whitman National Forest.
Blue Mountain Blessings Photography
Betty E Duncan
Kodak Z981 Zoom Digital