Zsámbék has been inhabited since Paleolithic times. It has had Celts, Roman and Avarian populations throughout its history, according to archaeological finds. A Celtic mail coach’s remains were found here as well as a bronze trumpet.
In the 1050s the wife of Béla III of Hungary, who was the sister of the French king, gave the village to a knight named Aynard. The Aynard family built the Premonstratensian church beginning in 1220.
During the Mongolian invasions, the church was destroyed in 1241. After that year, during the reign of Béla IV of Hungary the church and monastery were rebuilt. Positioned at one of the most important merchant routes and halfway between Esztergom and Székesfehérvár and near Buda, the village went through a fast growth.
In 1467 Mathias Corvinus granted the rights of an oppidium. He also gave the fortress to his son, Corvin János.
In 1541 Turkish troops had occupied the fortress and held it for 145 years. They had built a Turkish bath, the ruins of which can be seen in the village up to this day.
In 1686 general Bottyán János fought here against the Turks. Later the Zichy family became the landowners of the region. They then rebuilt the castle.
The earthquake in 1763 ruined the church once again. It was not reconstructed after this horrific event. Settlers from Germany who came to live in the abandoned village after the Turkish occupation, took the stones from the church and used them for building houses and fences. Many of the church’s stones can now be seen in the walls of old houses now.