The castle was built on order of the Abbey of Pannonhalma between 1260 and 1262. Situated on top of the 239-metre high Castle Hill (Várhegy) the renovation of this ruined, elongated building is in progress. A spectacular view over the Balaton can be enjoyed from here.
Starting out behind the church the visitor arrives into the Lower Castle (alsóvár) where a machicolated gallery leads to the round bastion. From here a steep path goes to the Upper Castle (felsővár) which stands approximately 20 metres higher than the Lower Castle. The former dungeon, the palace and the keep of the lord were here. A major restoration work was started in 1991. Completion of the excavation and partial reconstruction of the castle is in progress.
The castle had already been altered several times by the 17th century. Although the Turks destroyed the village, they were unable to take possession of the castle. In 1702 however, the Austrian emperor ordered the castle to be blown up. Some of the stones were used in construction of the country seats and farming outbuildings which lie below the castle.
Szigliget Castle, Hungary