In 1848, Ulysses S. Grant and his new bride, Julia Dent, received 80 acres of Dent family land southwest of St. Louis as a wedding gift. In 1855, Grant started sawing and notching the logs that would be used to build a four-room, two-story cabin on the property. The cabin was completed in just three days with the help of friends. Grant established his farm and named it “Hardscrabble”. Grant did most of the work on the cabin himself. He layed the floors, built the staircase and shingled the roof.
The original home of the now famous Civil War General Ulysses S. Grant has been moved several times as a historical site. It was moved to Old Orchard near Webster Groves Missouri then sold and moved to Forest Park for the 1904 Worlds Fair before the final sale in 1907 to August A. Busch Sr. (the owner and operator of the world famous Budweiser Brewery in St. Louis Missouri)
The fence in front of the cabin was constructed of parts from 2,563 Civil War rifles.