This is my fave recipe for cupcakes (and I use it for larger butter cakes too). They HAVE to have real vanilla paste in them (from supermarket or specialty grocer) and PINK icing, or they are just not as good …
• 125g butter, softened
• 3/4 cup caster sugar
• 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste (or vanilla extract)
• 2 eggs, lightly beaten
• 1 and ½ cups self-raising flour, sifted
• 1/2 cup buttermilk or milk
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Using an electric mixer, cream butter, sugar and vanilla in a medium bowl on medium-high speed until pale and creamy.
2. Add eggs in 2 batches, scraping down the sides of bowl and beating well between additions (if egg is added too quickly batter may curdle, causing a coarse, heavy, dry-textured cake).
3. Add half the flour and stir gently to combine. Add half the buttermilk and stir until combined (adding half the flour and milk together can cause a lumpy batter). Repeat with remaining flour and buttermilk.
4. Place large spoonfuls into muffin cases. Bake for 15 minutes or until cakes are risen and golden. Turn onto a wire rack to cool.
Melt a tablespoon of butter in microwave safe bowl. Add 1/2 tsp vanilla bean paste (or extract), a couple of drops of red food colouring and 2 tablespoons of milk. Mix together then add icing sugar by the spoonful until it reaches a thick but spreadable consistency. Using a knife, smooth icing onto cakes and sprinkle with coloured sprinkles.
I guarantee you will fall in love with these vanilla cakes, they are my very favourite sweet treat. Bon Appetit!