The Covered Bazaar in Istanbul is also well known as the “Grand Bazaar” or the “Golden Bazaar”. The original part once was built of wood under Ottoman Sultan Mehmet II. in the year 1461, only eight years after the conquest of Constantiople and developed under the reign of Sultan Süleyman (1520-1566).
Because of several fires the bazar had to be restored later and was more and more developed. The dealers in the bazaar are located together with their branches like gold shops, carpet or leather stores.
© Photo by Jens Helmstedt