When the Knights of St. John of Jerusalem, Rhodes and Malta constructed Valletta (the capital of Malta) in the 16th century, they built these edifices in order to house those knights with no homes of their own in Malta, and to put up visiting dignitaries in the style to which they were accustomed. Almost every langue of the order had its own auberge, and the knights of each one were entrusted with the defence of a particular section of the bastions which surround the city. This auberge housed the knights of Castille, Leon and Portugal, was finished in 1574 and remodelled in the 18th century. It next served as the headquarters first of the French military, then of the British army in Malta, and today is the office of the Prime Minister. Fujifilm F50fd.