“The early coach road between Nerang and the border was originally the main stock route between Queensland and New South Wales. Tallebudgera was a convenient place to stop and became a changeover point for Cobb & Co Coaches. A small village developed near the intersection of Old Coach Road and Trees Road to serve not only the coach road traffic, but also the wider farming community.
A mail receiving office was opened in Tallebudgera in 1872. The Tallebudgera Post Office officially opened in 1878, the same year the postal service at Nerang Creek was extended to Tallebudgera. Stephen Tobin was recorded as the first Post Master and was paid a base salary of 12 pounds per annum. Violet Ruddy was the last Post Mistress employed at the Post Office before it was permanently closed in March 1958.
Gold Coast City Council purchased the Tallebudgera Post Office in 2002 to ensure the preservation of this important part of the City’s heritage. The building was in a state of disrepair and Council undertook a restoration project that was completed in December 2004.
The Post Office was restored under the careful guidance of Council’s Heritage Advisory Service and most of the original building is still standing today. Any new timber used in the restoration work was stamp dated so that historians can trace all building work. Where possible, the materials used, such as rose-headed nails, duplicated those of the original building."
(The above information was copied from the sign board next to this Post Office building. Jan 2011).
Canon EOS 400D digital SLR
f6.3, 1/100 sec, ISO 100, focal length 21mm.