Featured in “All that’s Archeology” July 2012
Featured in “Creative, Talented and unknown” June 2012
Taken on the stairway at Conisbrough Castle, South Yorkshire. Maintained by English Heritage
Taken using Canon SX30
The manor of Conisbrough, which had belonged to Harold, the last Saxon King, was given by William the Conqueror to one of his chief supporters, William de Warrenne, later Earl of Surrey. He build the first Norman castle here, of earth and timber. Soon after 1160, Hamelin Plantagenet, a natural brother of Henry 11 acquired the castle, and soon after 1180 he build the great cylindrical keep. The encircling stone wall of the castle was added soon after.
In 1437 , the castle passed to Edmund Langley, son of Edward 111 and later Duke of York, and when this family acceded to the throne in 1461 it became a royal castle. By 1538, it was already largely in the state of ruin in which it is seen today, and so escaped the deliberate destruction inflicted on many castles in the Civil War. It’s fame is now renowned through its association with Sir Walter Scott’s novel Ivanhoe.