+ Mixed-Media: Acrylic and linen thread on canvas.
+ Original artwork size: 120 × 120 cm.
+ Work was inspired from the experimental work continuation in my Book of Threads (artist journal-book).
Views: • 3067 (as at 22.06.2016)
• PiMT group (Painters in Modern Times)
• Alphabet Soup
• X’s = Representation of pathways/passage, north/south axis, the vortex, spirit & matter, – ‘As is above, So is below’, duality and cross over (X centre) = Zero point.
• Stitching – Representation of spirit transit pathways and passage, alchemic states, relationships.
• Colours – Ethereal, spiritual, worldly, alchemy. Did you know that blood, our flowing river source for life, when looked at under a microscope appears gold?
• Vessels – container of being for one’s internal/external alchemic processes, multiple vessels = generations, the passing down of knowlege, consciousness.
• Channels, page-format compositional structures – pathways, chapters, presence of being both spirit and matter, an inbetween state of worldly/spiritual affairs, flux, fusing, connecting, having awareness, presence of consciousness, of invisible and visible.
• Rich intense and deep fiery colours have been achieved through the application of multiple glazed layers using only five (JS.opaque) colours: aqua, purple madder and the metallics – light gold, rose gold and burnished copper.
“In Elevating the Spirit, connections, relationships and unity are explored through visual language elements and symbology, between one’s inner-self (soul, spirit, life-force, essence), psyche and the outer world. Notions of passage, transition (change), duality, reflection, containment and synthesis (fusion) are contemplated and reflected upon.
In mixed mediums, using techniques such as stitching, painting, collage, drawing, printmaking and assemblage, this body of abstract work references, expands and transits into new exploratory directions, sizes and forms, from previous work related to the Book of threads (process journal); it acknowledges and celebrates the spirit ‘creating’ and giving existence to matter.
Added to the generative mix are archetypes and symbols developed over time: the thread ‘tracks’ are a metaphor for transition between states of being, planes of paint, spirit and matter; forms of vessels, grids and planes echo containment within levels; colour resonates with symbology, emotion and memory.
By creating these ‘relationships’, one is ever mindful of reality, illusion, the dynamic forces, energies and thoughts that connect/disconnect all things visible and invisible."